Old October 19th 07, 02:53 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Alain Fournier[_2_]

Default Keith Cowing Thinks NASA Will Grow Plants on the Moon

robert casey wrote:

Technically it's still half day and half night, irrespective of the
length of the day, and the driving technology is energy storage for
lighting. However, I think they were relying on the polar crater thing.

I hate to have to build a storage system that can run lights bright
enough to grow plants. It takes a lot of light to drive photosynthesis,
much more than that needed for human color eyesight.

I think I agree. But I'm wondering, you don't need the plant to thrive
or grow in those two weeks, just survive. I wouldn't be surprised if
5 minutes of intense light every other day would be enough for many
plants. Possibly keeping the place sufficiently warm for those two
weeks would be a bigger problem than light.

Alain Fournier