Old June 23rd 17, 09:42 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default Close Sun-orbiting mirrors for beamed propulsion and space solar power.

On Friday, June 23, 2017 at 12:55:31 PM UTC-4, Fred J. McCall wrote:
wrote:

I was thinking about beamed energy for Earth to-orbit power.

Well, you should stop thinking about it. You will only, as is your
wont, reinvent it badly with sketchy science.

snip said reinvention

If it is reinvention that is ok. Getting products on my own makes me feel close to the cutting edge. A duplicate means comparative applied intelligence has occurred.

The relations given are exact field not sketchy. Beaming lasers into the rear-end of an MHD motor does not sound common place. For what it is worth, an MHD uses the magnetic field of an ion to repel. So positive ions travel in the same direction as the negative particles.

It is rather trivial to test. I can offer to make one for time and materials. A 1 kw uv laser and a 1kW visible laser and a cavity held in suspension. I..E. a cavity on a balance scale. I would also add a superconducting MHD coil/magnet. Making the solar cells the only hard part. A microwave power magnet might also be checked. I would need help if the microwave option is desired.

Believe it or not I did a test of the Sawyer? EM Drive. It came in less than an once at 1.5Kw. Except I checked using a traveling wave waveguide.