Old March 7th 10, 10:57 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

Default Where's the Free Market Going with Commercial Space Development?

On Mar 7, 2:18*pm, American wrote:
On Mar 6, wrote:

On Mar 6, 8:54*am, American wrote:

On Mar 5, wrote:

"Where's the Free Market Going with Commercial Space Development?"

Without 50% public support, it's going into the nearest toilet.

*~ BG

Why didn't the ISS have a referendum if $150 Billion has been spent so
far?

What does NASA have to show for it that's made nationally useful news?

What will NASA have to show that's does anything to spur growth in the
private sector that's worth $100 Billion over the next five years?

To me, it just seems like a total waste of human energy, as long as
nothing's being brought back from space that's worth anything except a
few more swollen heads to feed.

Myself and William Mook would have to agree with that.

Feasibility studies have been drawn out already to mine the asteroids
(example, John Lewis, Mining the Sky) and now there seems to be quite
a bit of controversy regarding how to get there and if the whole idea
is worthwhile - so why the difficulty with it? Why the coverup with
the Moon's "Orion" project in lieu of "50's Orion nuke-pulsed
spacecraft"? Why the campaign of disinformation? Why the fear of
masses of people going orbital? Why the fear of a metals glut? Who's
afraid of the competition? Why get the EPA excessively involved? Why
is "information" now so much more important to share with the
transnationalist global communications network , as they continue to
assume control over the masses, and consider THAT the more important
agenda than getting millions involved with orbital and interplanetary
business?

You know, it just gets tiresome without just a little more yankee
ingenuity making it to market - I'm starting to believe in the Tesla's
Pierce Arrow more than the new GM "makeover" - it's really disgusting
watching these unions grab obscene makeovers in the name of energy
efficiency.

American

No doubt that Tesla's Pierce Arrow with only a few refinements and
technological upgrades would become a terrific form of modern and
efficient transportation (as well as not much need of changing its
style either). *Energy transmitted through the air is perhaps another
good one that we'll never get to utilize as long as Big Energy has
anything to say about it.

William Mook offers similar Tesla like innovations that are off the
hook, so to speak, as well as myself have a few manageable ideas that
should benefit the greater good of humanity and most other
biodiversity that's currently traumatized past the point of no return.

*~ BG- Hide quoted text -

That sounds better, and to me a little more ingenious that what we've
got for the current state of the technology, which seems to be at risk
anytime references are made to improving anything above status-quo.

Where would captain Mook get off with making those asteroids into
piles of rubble for what clean sweep of useful and/or precious metals?

Really though, to what extent is the best of our refining capacity put
to use when so much sifting occurs after blowing everything to
smithereens? Why not find exposed vein deposits first, and then go in
from there? (It goes the same for all different kinds of metal - scan
the first few mm using gamma ray spectroscopy, then strip map the
results for review, choose the area on the asteroid with the largest
counts or hits per sq meter, and then go in for the drill, scan, sift,
and save the regolith containing the minimal impurities).

The electronics have already been invented to do these things.

Doesn't anyone remember the invention of EGS-4 code - used for
calculating the emitted gamma quantum energy that becomes deposited in
the detector, estimated as follows:

According to the distribution N(E,cosf) N_I quanta are generated
uniformly on the bottom and collateral borders of the detector and the
spectrum of their deposited energy N_loss(E) is determined.

Then the pulse-height spectrum is calculated due to the formula:

N_i(a_i,E)=[integral of ] [N_loss(ai,E)/sqrt[2pi](E')]exp[(E - E')2 /
2roe^2(E')]dE'

where a_i is the parameter of isotopes distribution, roe(E) is the
function depending on the detector specific properties. *The total
number of counts in photopeak decreases and scattered to direct gamma
quanta ratio increases when we increase the distribution parameter.

~

Nope, I'm surprised that our beloved Captain Mook hasn't heard of
this. Perhaps world-based access to massive doses of information has
already been rigged as being too reactionary for most, ref. Iridium,
Globalstar, Ares II, etc. - too much of a stopgap between earth and
earth-to-orbit technology.

IMO The American Association for the Advancement of Science needs to
be changed to The American Association for the Advancement of Science
AND Engineering.

American

Our moon(Selene) by far offers the motherload of the most valuable
minerals and elements like He3. Secondly, there's the entire planet
Venus to pillage and plunder.

~ BG