Old July 30th 08, 03:39 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Default best places to live for amateur astronomers

George Normandin wrote:

About 5 years ago I heard a talk at NEAF by Todd Gross (former 'scope
reviewer' and Boston TV weather person) on this vary subject. One place that
he mentioned as having great potential because of seeing and dark sky was
the area in northwest Florida around the Chiefland Astronomy Village
location. That area of Florida still has very dark sky, and Florida's famous
excellent seeing conditions. The dark area extends from Chiefland all of the
way over to the Gulf shore. Two Florida friends, one living in the Keys
right next to the WSP site and the other living in Orlando, both told me
that sky conditions are better in the Chiefland area then in the Keys, but
of course you lose a little of the far southern sky and you have to survive
the occasional hurricane. I would also consider the US Virgin Islands where
one island is mostly US national park,

That would be the island of St. John. "Astronomical" aptly describes
the cost of real estate there. Seniors have to consider the sparse
availability of medical services in the Caribbean. My wife and I
vacation at Caneel Bay on St. John, and the skies are, indeed, superb.
On the other hand, I met a couple from St. Croix, USVI, at NEAF a few
years ago and I told them that I had been there and that I envied their
skies. "Not perfect," they said.
"Huh?"
"Dust."
"Huh?"
"Dust from the Sahara Desert."
"Ah. Having lived in the Sahara, and experiencing sandstorms that turn
day into night and cause the temperature to drop 40 degrees (from 140
to 100) in seconds, I understand."

The St. John Board of Realtors says "Expect to pay around $350,000 for
a "handyman special" home; super luxurious homes can top the
$10,500,000 mark. *The average home goes for $1,250,000. *Condominiums
range from around $300,000 for a studio to $1,500,000 for a two-bedroom
unit. *The average condo goes for $675,000."

and I understand that one of the
Hawaiian islands is still pretty dark.

See St. John remarks above.

The sat views of Cuba show it's
pretty dark, so maybe when Castro goes, it might be a nice location for at
least a vacation home & observatory.

Is it necessary to wait until Castro goes? Americans seem to be liked
and welcomed in Cuba.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from moving to a dark-sky site,
merely pointing out that one needs to be circumspect; it's not a
perfect world. Too hot. Too cold. Too remote. Too expensive (for
most)...

Davoud

--
Don't re-elect the past. Vote for the futu Obama in 2008!

usenet *at* davidillig dawt com