Old July 29th 08, 08:51 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
George[_4_]

Default best places to live for amateur astronomers

"Howard Lester" wrote in message
acomip...
"Brian Tung" wrote

Paul (callisto) wrote:
I am an amateur astronomer and have recently retired. I would like to
know where I could retire in the US to maximize my enjoyment of this
hobby.

Personally, I'd go for New Mexico.

Porque?

No, not Porque, NM..... Why, and where in New Mexico? One reason I'd vote
for Arizona (only in terms of astronomy) is its much better seeing than is
typical elsewhere. That's in addition to spectacular transparency outside
of the cities and towns. But I know this because I live in Arizona. I
don't know what New Mexico offers, other than transparency and, I imagine,
different politics and population. There have to be more factors than just
astronomical to take into consideration when selecting a new place to
live.

Howard

Also there is the higher elevation and less dust to consider with Arizona
over New Mexico. Utah is also very good, if you can put up with the
natives. I drove into Utah from Colorado once via highway 50 (the loneliest
road in America. Upon crossing the border into Utah, I noticed a sign that
said "Utah. It's still just right", and someone had written in big red
letters "wing". :-)

George