Old November 9th 03, 12:09 AM
Scott Lowther

Default Von Braun rockets on Encyclopedia Astronautica

Pat Flannery wrote:

Oh, there was a manned A9 studied; it just wasn't the delta-winged one
as the upper stage of the A10, but the swept-wing fly alone variant with
the ramjet hanging off the bottom (the one shown in the V Missiles book)
The intention was to make it into a super high altitude and speed
reconnaissance aircraft

Errr... I was with you up to the last two words. The references I've
got, including the 1946 transript of the von Braun debriefing, call it
nothing more than an early X-15... no military potential at all.

into a separate booster for the missile (another German idea, for a
missile called "The Horse And Rider")

Never heard of that one. References?

(there is a detailed cutaway of the NA-704 in G. Harry Stine's
"ICBM" book).

Is there? There isn't one in *my* copy. But then, I've got the full-rez
scan that this http://www.up-ship.com/Stuff/navajosmall.jpg was made
from (at 15% scale), so there. :P

--
Scott Lowther, Engineer
Remove the obvious (capitalized) anti-spam