Old May 19th 18, 03:51 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

Default Illusory loops vs actual loops.

On Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 8:34:17 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Friday, May 18, 2018 at 8:49:30 PM UTC+1, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

the attempt by those people to explain Mercury's direct/retrogrades was
admirable, it is of course wrong

Pick a date and tell us which planet there is wrong, and where in the sky it
really is on that date.

Maybe it was the _explanation_ that was wrong, not the graphic. I didn't see
anything wrong there, but it is, "of course", not in harmony with Oriel's
conceptualization of the way planets rotate on their axes, and so he may also
have a unique notion of orbital motions as well that conventional astronomers
are known not to embrace.

Glancing at the page, the text seems to be correct; it isn't oversimplified, but I'm afraid that many people's reactions will be expressed by the abbreviation "tl;dr".

John Savard