Old February 28th 09, 09:22 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Painius Painius is offline
Banned

Default What if (on Sun Wobble) + Uranius

Oh, yeah? BULL****? Okay, how many people besides you
helped Helmut Abt win the very first prestigious GVB prize to
be awarded by the American Astronomical Society in 1997?

And what about 9423 Abt? a minor planet named for your
boss? Was that his honor alone? or did other people help
him along the way so he could be so honored?

What? Saul? Weren't you a member of Abt's "team"???

Did Ralph Elmer Wilson compile that General Catalogue of
Stellar Radial Velocities star catalog all by his lonesome? or
did he reference the Catalog of Individual Radial Velocities
published in the Astrophysical Journal Supplement 26,
December 1973, by none other than Helmut A. Abt of the
Mount Wilson Observatory?

You can resist all you like, Saul. Astronomy is teamwork,
and the great ones almost always have lots of help while
they become great.

And the greatest ones, the ones who are long-remembered,
share the credit with each and every member on their team,

....don't they?

"Saul Levy" wrote in message...
news

That's BULL****, Paine! lmfjao!

Nothing more. Another romantic notion with NO basis in fact.

Saul Levy

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 21:55:59 GMT, "Painius"
wrote:

Whad-dever.

Still looks like teamwork to me, especially when one considers
that, while the calculating astronomers, Le Verrier and Adams,
are given the "credit" for the discovery of planet Neptune, many
of the others, whom you call "actual discoverers" of various
planets and other Solar system objects, have also been given
honorable mention in several historical texts. And all of these
great astronomers had "gofers", such as those with "junior
author status", at their sides to help with the more mundane
duties of astronomy.

You're just being argumentative on this issue. Or *maybe*...

Maybe *you* are still at issue with something in your past that
is the root cause of your "denial"? hth-lmfaao!

"Saul Levy" wrote in message...
. ..

There were no teams, Paine!

I used to be one of those and discoveries were NOT left for me to
find. My ex-boss at Kitt Peak was very nice and fair and gave me
junior author status on all of our papers. Many astronomers to this
day hate to give full credit for such things.

The actual discoverers were AT DIFFERENT OBSERVATORIES from where the
calculations were made. Often in DIFFERENT COUNTRIES! Your TEAMS are
ROMANTIC NONSENSE!

Saul Levy

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 18:29:29 GMT, "Painius"
wrote:

"Saul Levy" wrote in message...
m...

Not quite correct, Paine!

There were NO TEAMS back then. Both Le Verrier and Adams spread the
word about their calculations and OTHER ASTRONOMERS did the searching
for Neptune.

And i consider that teamwork, Saul. Besides, didn't those
astronomers back then have assistants and "go fers" and
such? people to do much of the legwork, footwork, etc?

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
Indelibly yours,
Paine Ellsworth

P.S.: "Convinced myself, I seek not to convince."
E. A. Poe

P.P.S.: http://Astronomy.painellsworth.net
http://PoisonFalls.painellsworth.net
http://TheInternetStory.painellsworth.net