Old June 7th 08, 06:01 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if,alt.astronomy,sci.geo.geology
BradGuth

Default Earth w/o moon is also moon w/o South Pole-Aitken basin

Newsgroups DARPA wants nothing to do with this topic. Figures,
doesn't it.

Brad Guth Brad_Guth Brad.Guth BradGuth

On May 31, 9:09 pm, BradGuth wrote:
Earth w/o moon is also moon w/o South Pole-Aitken basin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Pole-Aitken_basin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Aitken_clem_big.gif

Our moon’s South Pole-Aitken basin of 2500 km in diameter is currently
only 13 km deep (roughly 0.5%), offers a perfectly darn good example
of the relatively shallow nature of such a horrific impact, as most
likely moderated in depth due to the moon’s thick coating of surface
ice that existed prior to the lithobraking encounter with Earth.

Of several other largest of craters are those approximately 10% as
impressive, or roughly 200 km in diameter, and equally shallow.

Otherwise, if not having been protected by a thick layer of salty ice,
I suppose those unusually shallow and oldest of moon craters are due
to the unusually robust crust that is simply a whole lot thicker and
more density substantial than anything terrestrial.

In order to have produced the South Pole-Aitken basin of 2500 km by 13
km would also have required an impact with something of considerably
larger diameter, such as Earth or possibly Mars got in the way before
that moon arrived at encountering Earth.

Once again, a good supercomputer could have nicely simulated this type
of complex multiple encounter with such an icy proto-moon or icy
planetoid that was merging with our solar system after being red-giant
phase ejected away from the complex Sirius-A/B star/solar system that
had recently burned through 5x worth of solar mass upon converting
Sirius-B into that white dwarf (Sirius-A picking up one solar mass,
leaves 4x missing in action).

Of course, for all we know, Earth or at least Venus may also have been
deployed into orbiting Sol by way of that same analogy of the Sirius
star system having lost those 4x solar mass, thereby losing it’s tidal
radius grip on such planets and spare moons or planetoids.
. – Brad Guth