Old March 18th 08, 05:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

Default NGC 4236 Another low surface brightness M81 group galaxy

George Normandin wrote:

"Rick Johnson" wrote

It seems the only clear nights I get are also moon lit

Rick,

That's better than here, where we have had no clear nights at all for
several weeks. There have been several clear days, but I didn't get the
solar h-alpha out.

This galaxy was much bigger than I expected......

If you ever re-do it you can just rotate the camera.

Like all of the smaller galaxies in the M-81 group, this one has probably
been involved in collisions with M-81 and that sparked massive star
formation. The entire group is immersed in dust and gas. Also, as some
amateur astronomers doing deep wide-fields have "discovered" (or at least
brought to everyone's attention) the area of Ursa Major is filled with high
galactic altitude Milky Way dust. Still, I think NGC 4236 is just a very
blue galaxy.

I also found the background galaxies interesting. There seems to be a
distant cluster behind the top portion of NGC 4236 (as shown in your
picture).

Perhaps you could just cut of the top 5 or 10 feet of the offending tree?
If the state gives you a hard time, blame it on the squirrels.

George N

There's no restrictions on what I do with the that tree. But the part
of it that protects against snow and saves me a heck of a lot of snow
raking is also the part that would have to go to help the view. When I
asked the tree guy about it when I cut other trees to open my sky he
said cutting it back like that would likely kill it as that was the part
getting the most sun and was supplying most of the trees needs.

But now that I see it is leaning toward the observatory when loaded with
snow I will be calling again but right now you can't get near it with a
bucket truck. Also now that the other trees are gone it is going to
grow this way as that's where the light is.

Rick