Old June 21st 16, 02:55 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,sci.astro
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Leaning tower of falcon 9

In article . com,
says...

On 2016-06-20 17:30, Fred J. McCall wrote:

No. At the moment, this is the intended design goal. All evidence to
date indicates that design goal is being met.

Evidence based on 1 recovered stage 1. You are stating that the design
goal is being met based on that 1 point of data. I am stating it is too
early to state that it is being met.

SpaceX has recovered more than one stage. They've recovered four so
far. Here is an article with a picture showing all four (the one on the
right has been cleaned up a bit, but you can still see some of the soot
at the top end of the stage).

http://www.space.com/33102-spacex-le...-comes-ashore-
photos.html

You state that it can be reflow 10 times. I say that until they have
take a stage and reflown it multiple times, it is too early to say how
many times a stage can economically be reflown. ( refurb costs may
increase with number of flights for instance).

They've done extensive tests of the Merlin engines, which should be the
"long pole in the tent" when it comes to reflights without
refurbishment. I'm betting they'll meet that 10 flights without
refurbishment goal. Perhaps not right away, but given enough time.

Jeff