Old November 28th 06, 06:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Request a pic of IC 418

G wrote:

Wasn't trying to, but I had a look at it with my celestron gps 11" S&C. I could see what looked like
a bubble. I really wondered if anyone was able to get a picture of this...
Really need to magnify it and have a good steady dark sky night. I hoping to see some detail...

It's a pretty interesting visual planetary that I've seen several times
but at about 12" across it is very small but at 250x shows some detail,
mainly a brighter outer ring that seems to have two bright points on the
east and west sides as I recall, haven't checked my notes which are in a
different computer. I've never seen any hint of the spirograph detail
in the Hubble image nor would I expect to. A star as bright as it's
central star would bloom in my 14" to where it is that size in only a
few seconds making the planetary invisible. It would take dozens of
stacked very short exposures to get much. Quite a challenging object to
photograph. Since my slow seeing is about 3.5" on even a good night
that wouldn't allow much detail even then.

Rick