Old May 1st 19, 12:02 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default SpaceX Dragon 2 capsule destroyed in abort motor ground test

In article ,
says...

Jeff Findley wrote on Tue, 30 Apr 2019
14:08:51 -0400:

Also, from what I understand, there is a list of safety related issues
that NASA wanted SpaceX to take care of before flying crew on DM-2. The
other "silver lining" is that this gives SpaceX more time to take care
of those issues as well.

Would you happen to know what those are or be able to point me to a
description of them?

Neither SpaceX nor NASA has released this list. So I have no idea what
is on it. This is part of the double edged sword of a "commercial"
program like this. NASA is paying for results and milestones and has
insight into the designs. But the designs remain the property of the
company, not NASA. So information like this is tightly controlled.

I'm guessing that Starliner has a list of open issues as well, but again
neither Boeing nor NASA is talking about the issues (well, beyond their
anomaly with their hypergolic propellants after a ground test). We have
no idea how severe the damage was after that test because no one leaked
any pictures or video.

Also, NASA has reiterated their policy for images and video. Leaks like
that SpaceX Dragon 2 video, by a NASA employee, can have dire
consequences up to and including termination. The email sent out to KSC
employees has been widely reported on space news websites over the last
day or so.

Jeff