Old May 4th 18, 02:53 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default Orbital Gravity Lab?

David Spain wrote on Fri, 4 May 2018 09:22:30
-0400:

Another thing we just don't know, is whether it is good enough to have
limited exposure to 'g' to overcome the deficits of long duration in 0g
or low g. Thus it becomes routine to spend some time working out in a
centrifuge and the rest of the time in 0g or Mars gravity or whatever.
Call it extra-terrestrial PE....

I remember the classic video of one of the Skylab astronauts (was it
Conrad?) getting their exercise by 'running' around the inner
circumference of the Skylab habitation module.

I seem to recall some sort of bungee contraption with a treadmill,
too, but I can't imagine that would be adequate. We need something
that can do variable gravity so we can see if the effects diminish
linearly, just how much exposure per day to what g level works, etc.

Right now we're talking about 'fast' Mars trajectories to minimize
radiation and g effects, but that doesn't get you to the 'live and
work in space' place.

--George Bernard Shaw