Old May 19th 11, 06:21 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Default Interstellar space 'full of Jupiter-size orphan planets'

jacob navia wrote:
Le 19/05/11 18:21, David Spain a écrit :

So much for navigating through interstellar space on Warp Drive.
At least until we've charted all these guys...

I always thought that warp drives work only in another dimension.

I always liked the way Frank Herbert solved this problem with his "Guild
Navigators(tm)" getting high on "Spice(tm)" and then just hallucinating their
way across interstellar space.

Jam enough people into an air-tight cylinder, crank the "Spice(tm)" in the
giant space-bong and EVERYONE hallucinates their way across interstellar space.

Much easier than mucking around with warp drives and/or rockets.
With enough "Spice(tm)" in my system, I too can ride atop giant sandworms!!!

Perhaps one should not mix drug use with fiction writing?
Or maybe dear Mr. Herbert was just following the writer's maxim,
"Write about what you know"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_%28novel%29

;-)

Dave