Old July 10th 03, 01:27 AM
Charleston

Default Gases Breached Wing of Shuttle Atlantis in 2000

"Joe D." wrote in message
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message

Now I'm not sure about that claim that this was unknown outside Nasa.

I seem to recall an even more serious TPS problem a few years prior.
I remember seeing pictures in AW&ST. I think there was substantial
size total burn through of an elevon. The pictures looked pretty bad.
I can't remember the orbiter or flight number. Someone correct me if I'm

wrong.

Yes that was quite a while ago. It was STS 51-D. I still have the AW&ST
articles and remember it quite well because one of the main gear tires blew
out near the end of the roll out.

http://members.aol.com/WSNTWOYOU/STS16MR.HTM

I think the above is accurate.

Daniel