Old August 30th 03, 08:07 PM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default Fusion poisons; why fission has none

Archimedes Plutonium wrote:

30 Aug 2003 11:02:02 GMT PSmith9626 wrote:

Penny, I suppose the biggest help about now would be the information as to the
highest percentage that a star can have fusion as a contributor of outward star
pressure. If we consider that the Sun inward pressure is 100% from Gravity. Then
how much of the outward pressure is due to fusion? The best astrophysics number I
have been able to find on this is that the _outward pressure_ due to fusion is
approximately 28% and that the bulk of the outward pressure is due to the EM
Coulomb repulsion of protons to protons and electrons to electrons (ionization of
stars) and that the Sun is approx 70% outward pressure due to
Coulomb repulsion. But stars come in many different masses.

I think the answer is obvious and does not lie far away. If you take any star and
completely replace all the atoms of that star with that of iron, it would not longer
be a fusion driven outward pressure. In other words poisoned to death. And looking
at the Periodic Chart of Elements, iron sits about 1/3 from hydrogen or 2/3 from
uranium.

So the Chart of Elements alone is indicative of a 2/3 barrier because any and every
star no matter how big will end its fusion if all of its atoms were iron.

In a sense, the Fusion Barrier Principle is equal to the idea that iron ends fusion
reactions.

Archimedes Plutonium,
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies