Old August 15th 18, 12:21 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Launch of NASA's Parker Solar Probe

In article ,
says...

On 2018-08-12 22:32, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:

https://spaceflightnow.com/2018/08/1...toric-mission/

You know, I just realized, we can actually make a joke about them launching
a solar probe at night!

A few months ago, I was told sending somethin to the sun was impossible
because woulf require way too much energy).

It's actually going to orbit the sun, just very close. It won't
actually dive into the sun.

So leaving earth, what direction is the Parker probe in such that it
will have elliptical orbits around the sun as per the graph in the above
article?

Is it heading straight for the sun? Or a combination of stright to the
sun AND opposite Earth's orbit around the sun to drop its orbit around sun ?

It's not headed straight there. It's got several (I forget how many)
Venus flybys in order to attain the necessary velocity to get as close
as they want to get. You know you could find this stuff if you looked.
Google is your friend.

Jeff