Old January 15th 05, 08:12 PM
Ken

I don't mean to diminish what the ESA did. What a feat! Congrats to the ESA
for their accomplishments, my only gripe was the lack of images. It would
have been spectacular if we could have seen the images as they rolled in.
Even now, I think there's a lack of images being released.

"Steven Van Impe" wrote in message
Ken wrote:

After watching the event on NASA TV, I'd have to say that I
somewhat agree with the analysis.

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/oped-05g.html

So, for you the headline is that ESA did a bad job with the broadcast (and
oh yeah, they landed on Titan as well)? I agree completely that the PR on
this mission could have been a lot better, but we _did_ land a probe on a
moon of Saturn!

ESA is largely governed by politicians, so it's only natural that we do
our best to please them. In the US, Space missions are made or broken by
the television audience, so NASA does their best to please the media. A
live broadcast of the Huygens decent would get next to no attention on any
European tv channel. There's no reason for ESA to prioritize live
broadcasts. It's sad, and I wish it were different, but that's how it is.

Regards,
Steven