Old September 26th 16, 01:15 PM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

Default The EM drive gets another mention

I said previously about the one gee positronium ship made before the construction of engineered nano-black hole arrays;

Now with 150 cubic meters per person, and 2.1 cubic meters per metric ton of structure, a ship with 142 passengers and crew occupy 21,300 cubic meters and masses 10,000 metric tons. Take off weight is 387,597 tonnes of which 377,597 tonnes is Ps. At Ps density of 8 tonnes per cubic meter this is a propellant volume of 47,200 cubic meters. A grand total of 68,500 cubic meters.

This for a ship that has a crew of 22 and 120 passengers.

Now recall also, that for interplanetary travel I said;

A ship boosting at constant gee from Earth to Pluto say, achieves a peak speed at mid journey equal to 2.573% light speed. This requires a 2.54% propellant fraction leaving a 97.46% payload+ structure fraction. To go from Earth to Pluto and back - requires four boosts so, 90.21% of the rocket can be payload. 9.79% is positronium.

So, a 10,000 metric ton payload occupying 21,200 cubic meters housing 142 passengers and crew- will require another 2,500 metric tons of positronium enough to give the neutrino rocket on the ship 77.7 days of constant boost!

Sufficient to travel throughout the solar system before refuelling. At 8 tonnes per cubic meter this adds another 312.5 cubic meters of volume.

An oblate sphere 12 meters tall and 60 meters in diameter - 5 storeys 40 ft tall and 197 feet in diameter - would be an awesome interplanetary cruiser! 120 passengers 22 crew members - a luxury yacht equivalent.

2,500 metric tons of Ps consumed over 77.7 days is a rate of 372.4 grams per second. A self replicating solar collector 529 sq km on the solar surface makes Positronium at this rate - sufficient to keep such an interplanetary cruiser operating continuously.

It takes about 15 megajoules per kilogram to process raw materials into anything you like.

http://www.johnslewis.com/2011/01/de...-in-space.html

So, a kilogram of Ps can process 6 million metric tons of raw material into anything you like! One tonne of Ps processes 6 billion metric tons - 1,000 tonnes of Ps processes 6 trillion metric tons!

This is large enough to build a McKendree cylinder

http://www.zyvex.com/nanotech/nano4/mckendreePaper.html

The rate of fuel production is sufficient to build one of these every 30 days or so.

A sort of super-O'Neill colony! Made of silicene rather than graphene, to make use of the most abundant materials for primary construction. Ceres is 939.3x10^15 metric tons - is sufficient to build 156,550 of these colonies..

This puts our needs in perspective! Our industrial and life support needs are as nothing compared to interplanetary travel. These are as nothing compared to one gee star travel.

A neutrino rocket powered ship fuelled by positronium can be used to fly point to point on Earth on demand - at two gees - in less than 50 minutes flight time.

The inverse problem has been solved by what some have called athletic machines with very positive consequences for flight systems;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEDrMriKsFM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNKRxsNyOho

For the less adventurous, a more relaxing method of travel using similar approach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP1loMTO1YA

Of course what we're proposing here is replacing the fans and jets with neutrino powered rocket fuelled by positronium. This gives virtually unlimited range and speed. We're limited by gee loading with this level of technology - until we have engineered arrays of microscopic black holes with which to control gee forces and even time.