Old November 15th 18, 06:41 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
hleopold

Default Exoplanet discovered around neighbouring star

On Nov 14, 2018, palsing wrote
(in ):

On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 3:18:19 PM UTC-8, StarDust wrote:
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46196279

What size telescope (aperture) is needed to see Barnard's star?

Even though that article states that Barnard's star is *extremely dim*, at
approximately magnitude 9.5, Barnard's star can theoretically be glimpsed in
10 X 50 binoculars, and even a small telescope will easily be good enough to
track it down... but the trick here is that Barnard's star is just another
dim star amongst dozens of others in the field, so you need a very detailed
star chart to know exactly which one it is!

This is one of the best overall pages for this star...

http://stars.astro.illinois.edu/sow/barnard.html

... and this is the funniest...

https://xkcd.com/2062/

I laughed my head off when this comic was first posted, I was raised on old
sci-fi and read far too many that used Barnard’s Star as a stage for the
action. They don’t call it Barnard’s Runaway (Laughing) Star for nothing.
;-)

Here is a chart to help you find this little guy...

http://www.nightskyinfo.com/cms/img/...nards_star_map
.png

... good luck!

I have spotted it a time or two, but haven’t tried to in the last couple of
decades, I really should do so again.

--
Harry F. Leopold

The Prints of Darkness (remove gene to email)

“I'm sorry, son, but there's nothing we can do for you. There's no cure for
stupid.“ - John Baker