Old October 13th 17, 05:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

Default Is Elon Musk ready for the straitjacket ?

On Friday, 13 October 2017 15:47:14 UTC+2, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 03:03:46 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

When will electrics pay a road tax for maintenance and construction, or will all roads be toll roads?

Different places have different ways of collecting taxes for roads. In
many jurisdictions, electric cars already pay through registration
fees. Where gas taxes are used, no doubt other methods will be
developed.

A Danish professor is claiming the CO2 involved in the construction and transport of large car batteries in China is no better than the infernal combustion engine. The main problem is the continuing use of coal fired energy in China for vehicle and battery construction. There may well be a long time lag until the electric car overtakes the gas guzzler.

Charging the car battery using coal-fired, power stations at their eventual destination is hardly CO2 neutral either. A better [CO2] scenario is wind or solar powered recharging. Best of all, would be small scale, local, solar power charging the battery for the car owner from his own roof.

There would be no large and wasteful energy corporation and all the added costs [and extra CO2!] Particularly where they are demanding their quarterly bills be paid from whichever fuel is considered cheapest regardless of CO2 efficiency. Importing fuel for energy production, from right around the world, is hardly 'green' or CO2 neutral. It often has a green or political negative attached as some despot fells his nation's inherited forests. It's all about recognizing the full lifetime, CO2 footprint, rather than wishful thinking.

I'll just have to keep pedalling my bike until I am crushed by the weight of all awards and financial benefits from a grateful society. Why can't I sell my CO2 savings to VW diesel guzzlers? ;-)