Old July 16th 17, 06:05 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,sci.electronics.design
Serg io[_2_]

Default Towards the *fully* 3D-printed electric cars.

On 7/16/2017 8:58 AM, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article ,
says...

I will admit I know very few teenagers.

Which has jacksquat to do with what I said? What do teenagers have to do
with my reply?

It would be primarily teenagers that would be interested in making
essentially useless gadgets and jewelry.

Again, I know about a dozen people that own things like welders, milling
machines, drill presses, and lathes but no one that owns a 3D printer.

All of these are middle aged or older adults.

Do they have turntables and tube amps becuase of the "warm sound"
because CDs are "harsh"? VHS tapes for movies? No? Then do they also
have huge collections of CDs and DVDs? HD audio discs and BluRay discs?

These days, I keep most of my media on a 2TB server, and that is
considered antiquated by people younger than me who simply use their
phones coupled with streaming services to listen to music and watch
movies and TV shows. The idea of "owning" music and movies is outdated
to quite a few younger people. Why would anyone clutter their house
with that crap when the Internet can provide anything you want, anywhere
you want, anytime you want.

Technologies improve, costs go down, times change.

Jeff

heads up,

digital storage has *major long term storage problems*,
HDs last 5 to 7 years at best, they have many failure modes.

the technology improved, but the reliability went down.

Too easy to lose files now, or erase them.

silicon storage is not mature enough yet, it could last a long time, but
many thumb drives get blown out as power comes on or goes off.

CDs are Al foil on plastic, and a drop of ketchup will eat a hole in the
AL layer, making the disk usless. (my kid this this)
Also, heat, age, UV will all seperate the AL from the plastic,
destroying data. Very poor long term stuff, the AL layer also will
oxidize on you.

(archival CDs disks have protective layer of plastic on it.)

storing it in the cloud is another problem, read the T+C's they are not
responcable for your data, the company can go out of business, no data,
or get sold and teh new company sells your files, as you gave them to
them, so they own it, you gave that right up, like those photos you
uploaded to Facebook, are not yours anymore.