Old June 15th 04, 12:27 AM
LaDonna Wyss

"Ami Silberman" wrote in message ...
"LaDonna Wyss" wrote in message
om...

Hey, folks--I wasn't sure where to post this one because there's been
so much blathering, but how about this for a question: You do realize
the first three groups of astronauts were recruited from within the
military, and by that I mean they received orders to show up at
such-and-so place at such-and-so time with absolutely no clue why they
were there?

I thought that they had to apply first, and then the candidates received the
orders.

I'll ignore Scott Hedrick's "Shhh" comment. You are incorrect, AMI.
Try talking to one of the families involved (I HAVE.) There were no
applications in the initial groups. They were given orders to appear
at such-and-so place at such-and-so time, and when they arrived, THEN
they were told why they were there. Gus Grissom had NO IDEA why he
was being "summoned" until he arrived. Don't believe me? Oberg acts
like he knows everything about the space program; perhaps he could
call Jim Lovell and ask him (a man who by all accounts could well have
been among the original "Mercury Seven" if it had not been for a
certain person's "strings" that he pulled--Oh, hell, why not say it?
John Glenn. Had it not been for Johnny, Jim Lovell WOULD have been
the Mercury "Seventh.")
LaDonna