Old January 20th 05, 10:31 AM
Michael Smith

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 23:45:48 -0500
"furtig" wrote:

I have another question. The one photo I have seen from the surface
(unprocessed?) seems to have plenty of light. I found this surprising
and am assuming this was considered in the planning stage and the
photo system is extra sensitive.

Basically, yes. You can take a long exposure in a dark room with fast film and get good results. You just have to wait for the right number of photons.

(?) Any comments on the data size of
the images.

I think it was about 35k per image. Very heavily compressed. Considering the environment it was collected in I think the images are fastastic.

It's a shame that the Galileo/Jupiter entry probe didn't have a simlar scaled down imaging capability.
--
Michael Smith
Network Applications