Old June 22nd 08, 12:59 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.philosophy,alt.journalism
[email protected]

Default .. What if Tom Hanks filmed the...Future...of NASA instead ofit's past?

On Jun 21, 12:19*pm, "jonathan" wrote:
What future would he write? Or would you?

He wouldn't write any. Since the people with science brains
invented Miicorcomputers, Fiber Optics, DWD+RW, GPS, PV Cells,
RNA, Lasers, Stealth, A.I. Robots, and nanotech to remind both NASA
and Tom Hanks,
that NASA is a Government Agency, rather than a science agency,

A future based on what is likely to occur
based on current facts and trends?

Or a future NASA ..should...have in an
otherwise perfect world?

I know what I would write. It would be a future
where NASA plays the central role in fulfilling
the promise of space. Which I believe is taking
the human race to the next level of understanding
ability to survive, and prosperity.

That NASA should become the vehicle for creating
...Truth and Justice...for the future of the entire planet
and be an ever growing source of inspiration across
space and time.

Would such a movie include a Space Program like this?
Which President Bush canceled his first year in office?

A program which conceivably could end our dependence
on fossil fuels thus solving global warming. Perhaps the
two largest global future threats?

"NASA'S SPACE SOLAR POWER EXPLORATORY
RESEARCH AND TECHNOLOGY PROGRAM (SERT)"

While making America the next energy "Saudi Arabia"
for the future?

"The National Aeronautics and Space Administration's Space
Solar Power (SSP) *Exploratory Research and Technology
(SERT) program was charged to develop *technologies
needed to provide cost-competitive ground baseload electrical
power from space-based solar energy converters."http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10202&page=1

Statement of John C. Mankins
Manager, Advanced Concepts Studies
Office of Space Flight
September 7, 2000

Mr. Chairman and Members of the Subcommittee,

"NASA has examined the viability of large-scale space solar power
(SSP) systems through a series of studies and preliminary technology
research activities."

"Very briefly, our results and findings to date can be summarized as follows:"

"a. *Large-scale SSP is a very complex integrated system of systems that
* * *requires numerous significant advances in current technology
* * *and capabilities

*b. * A technology roadmap has been developed that lays out potential paths
* * * *for achieving all needed advances"

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/legaff/mankins9-7.html

I believe the goal of NASA should be to replace fossil fuels
with Space Solar Power, and accomplish this before the
oil runs out, or global warming becomes irreversible.

Whichever comes first~

Jonathan

"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and
* * do the other things, not because they are easy, but
* *because they are hard, because that goal will serve
* * *to organize and measure the best of our energies
* * and skills, because that challenge is one that we
* * * are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to
* * *postpone, and one which we intend to win..."