Old November 4th 06, 07:43 PM posted to alt.astronomy
John Zinni

Default mass limit

Starlord wrote:
One small note, there is NO limit for mass in a Black Hole.

The one in the
center of our own galaxy is somewhere in the range up to something like
1,000 to 5,000 solar mass

Sagittarius A*
"Later observations determined the mass of the object to be about 3.7
million solar masses (our sun's mass is approximately 2×10^30 kg).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagittarius_A%2A

At the Center of the Milky Way
"At the center of our Milky Way Galaxy lies a black hole with over 2
million times the mass of the Sun."

The Structure of the Milky Way
"The evidence is mounting that Sag A* is indeed a black hole of 2-3
million times the mass of the sun."
http://cassfos02.ucsd.edu/public/tutorial/MW.html

and the one in M31 is somewhere aroun 1 million
solar mass.

Mysterious Stars Surround Andromeda's Black Hole
"It packs a mass of 140 million suns, the new study finds."
http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...eda_stars.html

Andromeda Galaxy
"Andromeda's core has a supermassive central black hole of around 140
million Solar-masses (latest NASA press release)."
http://www.solstation.com/x-objects/andromeda.htm

They figure this out by watchng the stars that are in orbit
around the Black Hole and clock how fast they move.

I think sometime I might have read the name that you are thinking of, but I
didn't take a full note of it so I have forgotten it.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info