Old November 4th 06, 05:56 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Starlord

Default mass limit

One small note, there is NO limit for mass in a Black Hole. The one in the
center of our own galaxy is somewhere in the range up to something like
1,000 to 5,000 solar mass and the one in M31 is somewhere aroun 1 million
solar mass. They figure this out by watchng the stars that are in orbit
around the Black Hole and clock how fast they move.

I think sometime I might have read the name that you are thinking of, but I
didn't take a full note of it so I have forgotten it.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
The Church of Eternity
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/church/Eternity.html

"Jeremy Watts" wrote in message

"Starlord" wrote in message
Are you talking about a Jupiter type planet or a rockry planet? Becuae
the
rockry planet would never reach the point where it would become a star.

As far as a Jupiter type planet to reach even the level where it would
become a dim short lived R.D. star it would be somewhere around 25
jupiter
mass. To become a star like our own, it would never be a planet at all,
it
would be a cloud of gas that would be compressed under it's own g force
the point where the fushion reaction would start and thus a star is born.

yeah i may be getting confused here with the mass limit for a black hole,
but i just seemed to remember there was a name for a hypothetical mass
limit
beyond which a star would be formed.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
The Church of Eternity
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/church/Eternity.html

"Jeremy Watts" wrote in message
news
hi, is there an actual name for the mass limit that a planet must

achieve
beyond which it will collapse and become a star?

i studied astrophysics many years ago and seemed to remember there was,

or
am I becoming confused with the chandraseka (spelling may be well off
there)
limit for a black hole?

thanks