Old September 5th 03, 02:52 PM
Greg Neill

"John Carruthers" wrote in message
At what speed is the Universe currently expanding?

I'm just doing this for my OU course, I worked it out to 61.3 km/
s/Mpc.
The accepted value is around 60 but anywhere between 40 and 100 may be
right !!

These days things are a little more stringent than that:

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/phys...eConstant.html

That is, assuming we are expanding from the point where The Big Bang

occurred
No, everything is zooming away from everything else, there is no "
point of origin" weird.
Also c is still a constant, things do not exceed c, ...ever...!
(except on Star Trek) :-))
jc

Widely separated regions of space, and their contents, can
be moving at relative velocities greater than c. This is
due to the expansion of space itself with intervening
space being created, the overall effect being that the
distance between far apart regions is growing at a rate
that is faster than light can cover in the same time. This
is the reason why we have a cosmic horizon, from beyond which
light cannot reach us.

Note that this does not contradict relativity and the
notion that the *local* speed of light cannot exceed c.