Old September 1st 03, 07:13 PM
Christopher

Default Shuttle dumped within 5 years

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 16:41:05 GMT, Brian Thorn
wrote:

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 10:57:01 +0200, "Ultimate Buu"
wrote:

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/TECH/spa....ap/index.html

The OSP program is on a crash schedule to get it flying within 5 years. The
Shuttle will be dumped, just like I predicted since it's tainted by the
smell of death.

We've been here before. NASP was supposed to replace Shuttle by the
end of the 20th Century. X-33/VentureStar was supposed to replace
Shuttle by 2006.

And then there was OSP.

Personally, I think there is going to be sticker shock on Capitol Hill
when someone there finally adds up OSP/ATV/EELV costs and figures out
that it won't save a penny versus the Shuttle. Then there will be a
lot of back-pedalling, talk of waiting for a cheaper launcher to come
along, and another Shuttle service life extension program.

And when the fleet is reduced to two shuttles, what then?

Christopher
"Kites rise highest against
the wind - not with it."
Winston Churchill