Old January 8th 19, 12:00 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Dream Chaser

In article ,
says...

Looks like Sierra Nevada's Dream Chaser is getting solidly
established. NASA has approved production and barring any disasters
it could create a problem for the current 'second source' holder,
Northrop Grumman.

It could be a problem for Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems because
Sierra Nevada's (partially reusable) Dream Chaser could be cheaper than
their expendable Cygnus, especially if launched on a Falcon. Dream
Chaser also offers (some) cargo return (with some trash disposal in the
expendable "service module" type of thing). which Cygnus doesn't offer.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/...ome-a-nig.aspx

Wonder if they'll progress to a manned version?

That was the original goal. It could have some advantages over capsules
like lower reentry and landing Gs (they advertise 1.5 Gs for reentry and
landing).

It's a heavy vehicle though and comes with a fairly large expendable
"service module" type of thing. They, of course, try to spin this into
a "feature" on their website:

Disposable cargo module that attaches to the Dream Chaser vehicle,
greatly increasing the amount pressurized and unpressurized cargo
that can be carried

But for a crewed vehicle, to me, this just means the reusable section is
going to be fairly cramped compared to a capsule which has a better
volume to surface area ratio.

We'll see. I welcome the competition though.

Jeff