Old November 1st 18, 10:23 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Russia returns Soyuz rocket to flight

In article ,
says...

CBC reports today that the Soyuz accident was caused by a faulty sensor.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/r...unch-1.4784356

A Soyuz rocket and spacecraft blast off on Oct. 11, 2018. The rocket
failed two minutes into the launch, forcing the spacecraft carrying two
astronauts to make an emergency landing. The failure has been traced to
a collision between two rocket stages caused by a faulty sensor. (Dmitri
Lovetsky/Associated Press)

From what I read on Twitter (posted by Katya Pavlushchenko a self
professed "Space exploration enthusiast"), "He said, the cause of the
sensor failure is a mistake in assembling process on Baikonur". Also,
"He said the other Soyuz rockets booster packs, that are already
assembled, will be reassembled to exclude the repeat of the failure".

We'll see how the space news press presents this over the next few days.

So, the bent pin theory, and all the premature blame assigned to
westerners to poor quality control and bad culture etc may have been
premature.

From what I read, they tried to duplicate the issue with the bent pin
and crane but couldn't get the oxygen valve (which causes the tumbling)
to become damaged. So they did look into this possibility. Still, the
fact that such shoddy assembly practices even happened in the first
place absolutely supports the "poor quality control and bad culture"
assertion.

It could very well be the Russians claiming it was a sensor problem to
hide bad quality control and bent pin. or not.

If what I read on Twitter is an accurate translation from Russian to
English, this was still caused by "a mistake in assembling process on
Baikonur". Again, this also supports the "poor quality control and bad
culture" assertion.

Jeff