Old May 2nd 17, 07:37 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default NASA Announces SLS/Orion Flight Slide

On 2017-05-01 20:39, Jeff Findley wrote:

I don't think you understand the details of what's involved here.

Why can't Shuttle/ISS EMUs and the ACES suits be used for manned Orion
flights around the moon?

Because ACES suits don't exist anymore and there are precisely 11 ISS
EMUs and I wouldn't want to spend 8 days in a suit with a max 8 hour
duration. ACES is open loop life support, which means it doesn't have
sufficient duration for the mission. It also doesn't have sufficient
mobility to spend 8 days in it.

The only excuse I have goptten so far is that those suits are not well
suited for on-planet operations. Sicne there are no on-planet missions
planned for Orion, why are new suits a requirememnt so important it is
part of the delays cited for manned flight ?

Well, then you should open your ****ing eyes and pay attention. I've
explained this to you AT LEAST five times. New suits are a
requirement because you'd like to get the astronauts back if something
goes wrong.

That's b.s. SLS will almost certainly be as smooth, or smoother, to fly
on than the shuttle.

That is the first time I see someone make that claim here. So is SLS's
only problem cost? And whatever problems NASA is working on are fairly
minor "debugging" and no show stopping problems ?

I'm sure you frequently have that 'first time' feeling, given that you
appear to have the memory of a mayfly. What NASA is working on is
normal development and integration.

territory."
--G. Behn