Old November 27th 07, 08:30 AM posted to sci.astro.research
John Bailey

Default "An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything"

On Mon, 26 Nov 07 10:30:30 GMT, Kent Paul Dolan
wrote:

This looks like it will be receiving a lot of discussion:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yq4aq2

[a google search on: "An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything";
the results include the arXiv link to the paper.]

Not included there but also relevant

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-xHw9zcCvRQ
This is a video of the rotations of E8 based on "input from Garrett
Lisi" with a voice over stating which perspectives were quarks, which
hadrons, etc. Intriguing but not really informative.

also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E8_(mathematics) ,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lie_algebra ,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differentiable_manifold
http://xyz.lanl.gov/find/hep-th/1/au.../0/1/0/all/0/1

The Lisi paper, of course is titled from the name of E8,
"In mathematics, E8 is the name given to a family of closely related
structures. In particular, it is the name of some exceptional simple
Lie algebras as well as that of the associated simple Lie groups."
quoted from the Wiki article on E8.

Lisi's paper is almost as intelligible as Finnegans Wake.
"I employed the sound "quork" for several weeks in 1963 before
noticing "quark" in "Finnegans Wake", which I had perused from time to
time since it appeared in 1939... The allusion to three quarks seemed
perfect"-- Murray Gell-Mann