Old March 22nd 07, 08:55 AM posted to sci.astro.research
Nicolaas Vroom

Default Barred galaxies mass distribution

schreef in bericht
On Mar 12, 10:37 pm, "Nicolaas Vroom"
wrote:

I have written a program to simulate galaxies usingMOND.

For a more general discussion related toMONDwhich
includes your references See: http://users.pandora.be/nicvroom/mond.htm
For a copy of the program see:
http://users.pandora.be/nicvroom/prgmond.htm

I am not able to access your site.

There was one . (point) too much.

I hope you took care to apply MOND correctly.

How do you apply MOND correctly ?

It has non-local affects.

What do you mean by that ?

You cannot replace all mass within a sphere with a point mass, for
measuring its effect outside the sphere.

I agree that that gives complications. IMO that is a problem with MOND.

It gives non-intuitive effects.

Why do you call the above effect non-intuitive ?

Check the explanation at
http://www.astro.umd.edu/~ssm/mond/mondnbody.ps

Yes I agree there is an issue.
See also my comments See: http://users.pandora.be/nicvroom/mond.htm
at Feedback #4.
At the end of that document is written:
"Note that this does not mean MOND is wrong,
just that this kind of calculation does not work"
IMO that is a serious problem.

What MOND predicts is that when you have two colliding BH's
(or large masses) that the speed of a star,
which circulates around the center of gravity of that BH,
after collision, will drastically change.
There will almost be no change when Newton is considered.

I have serious problems with MOND.
1. One is for example the above mentioned document.
2. A different one is the value of a0. This is more or less a free
parameter.
3. Third how do you go from Newton to MOND.
There are more or less three areas involved:
One with Newton at short distance between stars,
one with both Newton and MOND
and one with MOND only at large distances.

Other numerical approaches are necessary. For example, Brada's
thesis.
http://www.astro.umd.edu/~ssm/mond/brada.uu

I cannot access that url.

See also MLAPM.
http://www.aip.de/People/AKnebe/MLAPM/

When we have a quantized Ads/CFT theory of gravity, which is the
equivalent of the other forces, nothing will work according to our
intuition. Time Dilation etc are intuitive compared to what we will
have ;-).

Why do you again use the word intuition ?

Nicolaas Vroom
http://users.pandora.be/nicvroom/