Old January 28th 04, 07:43 PM
CG

Default Are astronomy gathering safe for children?

After a recent experience I had on this board I now have to question my
involvement in amateur astronomy at best and weather I can allow my
children to take part at worst.
While checking s.a.a. for on of the first times I made the error of
clicking on a link to what I thought would be images of a members
telescope. I believe we all know where that link led. I also believe we
know how it was greeted with much approval from other posters.
Is this typical of amateur astronomy? What If My Son had been
watching?????????
As I asked in a previous topic is it safe for me to allow my spouse and
children to take part in this hobby? At this point I have to wonder if the
people who take part in it are the sort of people I want my family to
associate with. My wife and I have done our best to install good values in
our children that reflect the values we were brought up by our families and
church. This posting seems to cast some doubt on the wisdom of exposing
them to this hobby.
Thanks Clay