Old May 17th 11, 09:22 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,sci.physics
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default The end of star-making days

On 16/05/2011 8:16 PM, herbert glazier wrote:
Sam my G=EMC^2
predicts the days of star making has to end.(no more interstellar gas
for gravity to compress. Gravity still will do what it does best and
that is to evolve the stuff it created. The end is when all it
created is left in black holes,neutron stars,and white dwarfs. Sam
They are not really the end,but that is the spacetime with no universe
life,or any physical matter. Cheer up Sam it will always have
"time,space energy,and gravity" Its my last picture,so Sam Get the
picture TreBert

It's going to take a while to reach that point. There's more mass within
the intergalactic gas between galaxies, than there is in the galaxies
themselves. If a galaxy runs out of gas, its central blackhole will stop
blowing gas away, and instead that gas will fall back into the galaxy,
restarting star formation. Or even more wildly, the intergalactic gas
will start forming new baby galaxies between the old galaxies. I figure
this stage will last a trillion years (or two orders of magnitude older
than the universe is now), with continuous cycles of gas falling into
old galaxies and/or new baby galaxies forming.

Yousuf Khan