Old December 16th 16, 01:48 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

Default Orion's first crewed flight announced

On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 5:56:05 AM UTC-5, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article ,
says...

bob haller wrote:

the reason that ares was so bad, shuttle and sls both had liquid engines too, which damped out the solids vibration

How's that work again? I have a liquid engine that produces some
vibe. I have a solid engine that produces even more vibe. Somehow
the two of them together have less vibe? No, that doesn't make any
sense...

Agreed. The SSMEs on the shuttle had absolutely nothing to do with
damping vibrations from the SRBs. The *external tank* was instrumental
in damping the worst of the vibrations from the SRBs.

And even that is quite complicated. You can't just slap solids on a
liquid stage and expect everything to be just fine. As everyone should
there is a lot of analysis which has to take place to validate the
design. Launchers aren't LEGO bricks you can engineer using a single
spreadsheet.

Jeff

never the less the original ares would not have worked. not only is flying humans on solids. but the vibration would hurt them. just plain way too rough