Old February 21st 09, 07:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default Astro: Arp 15

Rick, lots of detail in this small guy, in spite of the bad seeing.

Stefan

"Rick Johnson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
ster.com...
Arp 15 (NGC 7393) is classed as a SB(rs)C pec spiral galaxy. Pec means
peculiar in that it certainly isn't a normal galaxy. It also has a ring
structure. In this case the ring is broken and partly made of enormous
blue star clusters. Arp classified it under the heading of "spiral
galaxies with detached segments". This appears to apply to the star
clusters in the broken ring. Obviously this galaxy has interacted with
another but where is it? I found little in the literature about this
one. It is about 156 million light years away based on red shift data.
You can see a shot of it by Arp with the 200" Palomar telescope at
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...ures/arp15.gif

Even though seeing that night was awful I did image it at 0.5" per pixel
rather than my normal 1" but see now that was a mistake. I just
increased noise with no resolution gain. I've reduced this to 0.75" but
it still is very fuzzy. It's on my reshoot list but for now this will
have to do.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10 RGB 2x10, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick