Old September 1st 06, 11:12 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy,alt.astronomy,sci.astro,alt.astronomy.solar
Paul Schlyter[_2_]

Default Pluto is out from planet dictionary

In article .com,
Double-A wrote:

Paul Schlyter wrote:
In article . com,
Double-A wrote:

Mike Williams wrote:
Wasn't it Mark Earnest who wrote:
If Pluto is a dwarf planet then it is A PLANET.
Continue calling it A PLANET, O.K.?

I didn't hear you complaining about us not considering all the "minor
planets" to be "planets". "Minor planets" were not planets then. "Dwarf
planets" are not planets now.

Get used to it. 2500 astronomers are not going to change their minds.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

More like the 300 that actually voted.

Double-A

Those 2200 who didn't care to vote probably won't care now either....

Perhaps the 2200 just don't want their names on the record on one side
or the other of a very controversial issue!

Double-A

Nah -- I think it's far more likely that they - rightly - think the
precise definition of "planet" is unimportant from a scientific point
of view. It's more of a public-relations issue.

It's a bit like a US presidential election: the majority of the voters
don't bother to vote. One of the candidates wins the election - does that
make the non-voters change their minds? In almost all cases: no.

e-mail: pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
WWW: http://stjarnhimlen.se/