Old September 20th 05, 02:20 AM
Michael Rhino

"B1ackwater" wrote in message
(CNN) -- NASA Administrator Michael Griffin rolled out NASA's plan for
the future Monday, including new details about the spaceship intended
to replace the shuttle and a timeline for returning astronauts to the
moon in 2018.

The design for the new crew exploration vehicle (CEV) looks a lot like
the Apollo-era spaceship that first took NASA to the moon a generation
ago. It is a similarity that is not lost on Griffin.

"Think of it as Apollo on steroids," he told reporters at NASA
headquarters in Washington.

In my mind, Apollo on steroids would require lots of flights -- around 50
manned flights and 50 heavy lift cargo flights over 20 years. I don't know
if that is the plan. No single flight can be Apollo on steroids.