Old May 8th 19, 07:02 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Steve Willner

Default Revise age of the universe?

In article ,
"Richard D. Saam" writes:
The main point of the Space Telescope Institute work
https://arxiv.org/abs/1903.07603
is that 4.4 sigma discrepancy between Planck Ho and STI Ho is not
readily attributable to an error in any one source or measurement,
increasing the odds that it results from a cosmological feature beyond
LambdaCDM'.

Indeed. Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be statistics.

The preprint (linked above) gives references to other work on the CMB
and BAO, which methods give the Hubble-Lemaitre parameter at high
redshift, i.e., early in the history of the Universe. A simple
summary is that dark energy appears to have increased over
cosmological time. Fig 4 of the preprint gives some ideas of why
that might have happened. Another possibility, of course, is that
there is some unrecognized systematic error in one of the
measurements. The local H_0 looks pretty solid to me. I know less
about the early H but can't help wondering about the calculated
sound-wave distances, which depend on baryonic physics.

For calculating cosmological quantities, Ned Wright's calculator at
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/CosmoCalc.html
or the advanced calculator at
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/ACC.html
are terrific resources.