Old April 29th 19, 04:33 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)[_2_]

Default Revise age of the universe?

In article , root
writes:=20

Can the recent findings of the Space Telescope Institute be used
to revise the age of the universe. What would the estimate
of 13.7E9 years become if the current rate of acceleration obtained
over the entire lifetime?

If you are talking about changing only the Hubble constant (I think that=20
you are), then the age---all else assumed equal---is inversely=20
proportional to the hubble constant. However, keep in mind that we are=20
talking about a change of a few per cent (I am assuming that you are=20
comparing relatively local HST measurements to the value obtained from=20
CMB observations).

If the current rate of acceleration applied over the entire lifetime=20
(there is no reason to think that this is even remotely true), then the=20
size of the universe as a function of time would be an exponential=20
function and thus be infinitely old.