Old October 3rd 05, 07:55 PM

-Stephen Paul
PS. If Jon Isaacs so much as sneezes after this post, I'm outta here
permanently.
====

Here's my 2 cents, I hope that you decide to remain....

S.A.A. is an open forum, a place to share ideas and experiences.
Hopefully everyone's goal is to help others enjoy this hobby. To do
that, I believe it sometimes it requires "thinking outside the box.."
This means not just answering the question on the surface but
addressing the broader picture if it seems appropriate.

There is no one right answer.

Certainly rotating rings on a Newtonian are one solution, but there is
no one "right" solution, an SCT is also a viable option. Certainly an
11 inch SCT is one viable option. But there are others as well.

Imagine the guy spends the money on the 11 inch SCT, runs into some guy
with a 15 inch DOB and says, jeeze, I should have bought one of those
instead....

My hope is that when the OP buys the 11 inch SCT he does so because he
knows that it is his best choice, that he has considered the
alternatives.

Yes, I am a DOBvangelist. I am also a Newt-vangelist
RefractorVangelist, a CAT-Vangelist. I own an enjoy using/owning just
about every type of scope I can afford. I am a ALT-AZ-Vangelist, an
EQ-Vangelist.... A widefield-Vangelist, a Ortho-Vangelist..... a
Starhop-Vangelist and even, yes, even at times, a GOTO-vangelist.

I hope this group keeps an open mind to accept a variety of viewpoints,
we each have something to add, it is the sum of the viewpoints is what
makes it work.
SP wrote:

If asked which is the best telescope for deep sky "observing", well, that's an entirely different discussion. Clearly the Dobsonian has more advantages than disadvantages compared to any other design.

----

I hope you are not turning into a DOBvangelist.... G

Best wishes, clear skies

Jon Isaacs