Old September 17th 18, 12:10 AM posted to sci.space.station
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Space Station Leak May Have Been Caused by Human Error, Russian Reports Say

In article , says...

Jeff Findley writes:

[...]

suggestion that an unplanned EVA be performed to cut back the insulation
on the outside of the module to allow for inspection. I'm not sure how
that would provide any useful data though.

The idea is that if they find residue of a sealant near the hole, it had
to be made on the ground.

That sounds reasonable. But the actual EVA would be difficult
considering that doing delicate work in a pressure suit is extremely
difficult. They might accidentally dislodge the residue they're looking
for. Also, stuff literally floats away on EVAs, so absence of any
sealant wouldn't necessarily be conclusive. So it might not prove
useful to do such an EVA.

If such an EVA were to be performed, it would be nice if it were done by
one Russian and one American. Kind of like counting ballots requires
representatives of major parties to be present.

IMHO, of course.

Jeff