Old October 12th 18, 07:50 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default Soyuz Rocket Launch Failure Forces Emergency Landing of Soyuz!

JF Mezei wrote on Thu, 11 Oct 2018
12:52:07 -0400:

Crew currently at 5. I recall, perhaps erroneously that post Columbia,
they shrunk it down to 2 to insufficient cargo capacity. In the current
station config, could 2 keep the station alive or would they need 3 ?
(cargo no lonegr an issue).

Crew is, so far as I can determine, currently at three, not five. It
was up at six prior to the first week of October, when three returned.

So in January, wouldn't the crew drop to 3 with 2 returning? When is
the other soyuz's "Best before" date?

There is no 'other Soyuz'. It returned a week or so ago. The crew
has already dropped to three. Those three were supposed to return in
December. There is another Soyuz launch scheduled for December 20
with three more crew. That would have led to a crew of five if the
last launch hadn't failed.

Right after booster separation, booster emergency light turned on, and
the ejection system fired automatically.

There is no 'ejection system'.

-- Thomas Jefferson