Old November 2nd 06, 07:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy,de.sci.astronomie,fr.sci.astronomie
Anthony Ayiomamitis

Default M1 - Crab Nebula in Taurus

wrote:
Anthony Ayiomamitis wrote:

Dear Friends,

Finally a small break in the bad weather we have been experiencing the
past few weeks with a brief 3.5-hr window of opportunity after the moon
had finally set to image the Crab Nebula in Taurus. I regret not
pursuing the luminance portion in h-alpha (live and learn) and I will
follow-up with a repeat visit which will most certainly include a heavy
h-alpha component.

For those interested, please see
http://www.perseus.gr/Astro-DSO-NGC-1952.htm .... the higher resolution
version available by clicking on the hyperlinked image includes a
"misplaced" asteroid on the upper left quadrant.

The seeing was quite horrible (FWHM 2.9 to 3.6 arc-secs) and a far cry
from my usual 1.7 to 2.3 arc-secs.

Hi Andrea,

I would avoid going h-halfa for a luminance but then it is up to each
individual. As for the picture the colour balance isn't the best, the
central portion is a bit too bright (hence hiding the details within) ,
it is pretty noisy and the background is too dark (except for a faint
reddish halo around the central portion of the image). Were I you I
would go for a stright 3-hours luminance followed by the canonical rgb
in binned mode.

I had a brief window last night (3.5 hrs) and I tried to make the best
of it by splitting time between the LRGB components. This is certainly
an image to be revisited when more time is available and with the moon
not dictating how long I have at my disposal for M1.

Thanks for the input and suggestions. It is obvious that there is lots
of room for improvement.

Anthony.

Andrea T.