Old November 25th 03, 12:24 AM
Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th

(G=EMC^2 Glazier) wrote in news:16430-3FC27A23-
:

Well 4 times brighter than Venus plus the light of the moon might have
caused night stark shadows. People do go over board in their
thinking over long time lapses. Still the light of that supernova
explosion was seen during the day. How can we be sure how bright it was
without being there?. It had to be a bit scarry in those ancient times.
Bert

As far as I know, the brightness estimate is based on the reports of the
Chinese observers. Venus is actually visble during the day when well
separated from the sun.

http://www.fourmilab.ch/images/venus_daytime/

To see it, you have to completely block the Sun from the view. WARNING -
if you attempt this, be extremely careful. Especially if you are using
any optical aid to initially locate the position of Venus.

Rgds Llanzlan.