Old February 22nd 18, 01:39 PM posted to sci.astro
Michael F. Stemper

Default "z=0" galaxies

On 2018-02-21 16:58, dlzc wrote:
On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 3:08:19 PM UTC-7, Michael F. Stemper wrote:

For a class I'm in, our team is supposed to
"Characterize the star formation history of
z=0 satellite and central galaxies."

However, I'm not sure what the term "z=0 galaxy"
means. To me, "z=0" means "zero redshift", or
"right here".

Not a bad assumption.

Nice to know that I'm not totally unhinged.

Since the only galaxy that's "right here" is
the Milky Way, this obviously demonstrates
some mis-understanding on my part.

Any suggestions on where I could find out what they are? Or, if
it's trivial to explain, would somebody please tell me?

I'd recommend confining yourself to the Virgo supercluster, which is gravitationally bound (not yet expanding with the rest of the Universe). You should find a published list of contents of this supercluster. Any red or blue shifting (not quite z=0) is due to peculiar motion, rather than expansion recession.

That makes sense. Thanks!

--
Michael F. Stemper
Deuteronomy 24:17