Old May 20th 08, 07:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_3_]

Default ASTRO: M53 back after a near death experience

I'd thought I'd imaged M53 but never could find the data. I even
planned on taking it a couple months ago but clouds rolled in before I
could start the run. Still cleaning the hard drive I found a directory
named "Cant_Process". It was full of random frames ruined by something
that I'd saved for no good reason; out of focus, 10 seconds rather than
10 minutes, wife lit fireplace sending sparks through the frame, etc. I
was about to kill the whole directory when I noticed at the end were an
entire series of frames taken on one night. Curious I opened one and
found it an excellent globular. Which one? Header shows the
coordinates fortunately. Turned out the series was the "missing" M53
frames from 2007! They came within a second or two of a delete key
death. Needless to say they were moved to a more appropriate location
on the hard drive.

Color was limited to one frame each for RGB but with a star cluster that
isn't as serious a problem as with extended objects. Still I wish I had
gotten more color. It may still be lurking in some other directory I
haven't explored or maybe one I've already deleted.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=12x5' RGB=1x10', STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version